Saturday, October 19, 2013

What•I•Wore: Engagement Pictures Edition

Happy Saturday!!! Today I'm just going to dive right in and let you know all the things I learned through the process of planning for and shooting engagement pictures. Like most things in life... it wasn't quite as I had pictured. I had several outfit choices picked out, thought we would have all this time to get ready before, and that we would be in no rush: false. Our visit to see my grandparents and make wedding plans was a complete blur. We spent most of our time running around like crazy people and that didn't exclude our Sunday afternoon engagement pictures. 

Sunday started with church, then going to brunch at our wedding venue and meeting with the planner, then running straight home to grab our clothes and head out the door to the hour drive to where we were having photos done. I had three outfits in the car and the dress on that I wore to church that morning. Contrary to what I thought the weather would be like, we were dealing with 90 degree temps in early October: CRAZY! Needless to say, the cute sweater, scarf, and boots I had brought with me didn't get put to use.

Once I got over the fact that I wouldn't be having traditional fall engagement pictures, things fell into place. I kept my church dress on and changed into my metallic heels to jazz it up. As you can see the pictures with this look are the ones we liked most. I was a little disappointed that a lot of our pictures ended up looking similar, but the fact that I do like these so much totally makes up for it.





Then we moved into our next look, I had a lightweight tweed jacket from Jcrew with me and my favorite Gap jeans.  I knew I wanted some photos by the water, so I opted for something more casual as we changed scenery. While I was sweating bullets, I knew that I needed to use something that would translate the photos to a different season. I didn't get too hot during that last hour, but I definitely would schedule photos a little later in the year if we could do it all over again.

What I learned through this process: schedule your photos for a time with more definite weather (fall, spring, summer, winter... not the in between months), don't get too attached to your outfit choices, have your pinterest ideas with you (don't think that winging it will get you all the photos you want), don't be up tight (it will show in pictures), opt for a neutral palette for color choices (add a pop of color here and there to match your taste, but don't go crazy!), have a conversation with your photographer leading up to the appointment to discuss your wants and needs, and lastly wear what you are comfortable in!

Overall, I am pleased with our photos. We didn't get all the looks we wanted, we didn't have perfect weather, and my hair didn't always want to cooperate. We did have fun with them though and get to know our photographer better, and that's all that matters.

Now the big decision: what to use for Save the Dates???? Any ideas? Feel free to comment below with your favorite photo to help us in making a decision.

One more tidbit of info: WEDDING PLANNING IS NOT ALL BLISS, but when you keep that in mind and keep your head in the right place.... it becomes a lot easier to manage!

Have a great weekend & thanks for reading!!!

First Look:
Belt: Target
Heels: Jcrew, similar
Watch: Michael Kors
Bracelet: Target

Second Look:
Jacket: Jcrew Factory, similar
Top: Jcrew, similar
Jeans: Gap

PS- these images are property of Kelly Phillips Photography. Visit here for more photos and if you are in the Eastern Shore area in search of an amazing photographer!



1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about my engagement photos! My hair ended up being a frizzy mess and the weather was just horrible, but somehow my photographer captured some great shots!

    ReplyDelete

09 10